Művészetek Palotája - Müpa - Palace of Arts Komor Marcell u. 1. 1095 Budapest, HungaryVenue info and map
The Camerata Salzburg was founded by Bernhard Paumgartner in 1952, drawing on teaching colleagues and talented pupils of the Salzburg Mozarteum. For a long time, it functioned as a school orchestra, until Sándor Végh took over direction from 1978. Under his stewardship, it grew into a professional and world-renowned orchestra. Whether performing the works of Mozart, Schubert, Bartók or Beethoven, everything was played with the authenticity and natural musicality of Végh’s work as an artist, bringing to orchestral performance the “mutually sympathetic” approach essential to chamber music. The death of Végh in 1997 plunged the Camerata Salzburg into a serious crisis, but, after a forced interregnum, it successfully moved on under the leadership of Roger Norrington. The British conductor took a different approach to directing the ensemble over the ensuing decade, placing the emphasis more on historically informed performance. He was succeeded by the violinist Leonidas Kavakos, who moved from principal guest artist to artistic director, though he filled the latter post for only two years. In September 2011, Louis Langrée took on the post of principal conductor for a contracted period of five seasons. Although several important musicians have left their mark on the musical identity of the Camerata Salzburg, the influence of Sándor Végh can still be felt, and indeed undoubtedly always will be felt.